Thursday, January 5, 2012

Miss V says, Did this REALLY just happen?

     Okay, so the first thing I want to say is when you are my age, and haven't been raised in the technological advances of the kids these days, Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Tumblr; these are all things that are more than a little intimidating. So naturally, when I got the bright idea to start a blog, the first person I thought of to assist me in this (to her, easy, to me, monumental) undertaking, was my daughter. So I begin by finding the appropriate website, hey GI Joe, getting there is half the battle. I managed all right through the first three lines of the Sign Up page, then I was stuck. It wanted a "Display Name." I had no idea what a Display Name was. I mean, maiden name I got. Surname, yup, under control. Pet name, nickname, married name, pen name, you name it, I got it. But Display name??? Hmmm.... Had to think that one out. That's when I realized, hey, I have an assistant (unpaid though she might be), it's time to put her to work. So quickly, I whipped out my cell, and gave my only daughter a call. No answer. Voice mail. Great. Now what?
      Obviously, she was at work. I am far too impatient to wait. When I start something, I want to finish it now, because let's be real, if I set it aside and wait for later, later is never, not ever, gonna come. I know that about myself. Why put off what you can do today, most especially since tomorrow you are going to be too darn lazy to do it.
      So I mentally flipped through the old rolladex trying to figure out who might be of some assistance. Son, at work. Husband, at work. And most of my friends would have been just as stumped as I was. That leaves my friends' kids, or I suddenly realized, my kids' friends. I am in business.
      Quickly, I dialed my daughter's best friend. She has dealt with me more than enough times to know where my talents lie, and she knows technology ain't one of them. Miss V (as I will call her in this blog), was kind enough to answer her phone, even though her screen was probably displaying a "Don't answer this, it is a parent call, never, never a good thing," message. I made fast work catching her up on what I was trying to do and where I got stuck.
        Let me just add this quick aside before I go on: 1) God love her, she never laughed at me. Though she SHOULD have. And 2) she had a new blog up and running before I even got off the first screen. Absolutely true. Up and running, and here I was, still on page one, trying to figure out what a Display name was.
       Okay, back to the action. I had luckily caught Miss V between her hectic school/work/life schedule, and had her in a moment of downtime, for which I was extremely grateful. She explained what a Display Name was without recommending any not so nice (but well deserved) ones like Stupid Mom's Blog. Somehow we managed to navigate through the second page (templates, etc.), where I learned NOT to touch the Advanced button. (WHAT was I thinking??? Really??)
      Somewhere in the midst of all this migraine inspiring (for her as well as me, no doubt) workup, I had to come up with a Title, for which I was completely unprepared. (Really??? WHAT was I thinking?) The conversation went something like this:
Miss V: So that's where you put the title you want to call your Blog.
Stupid Mom: Uh-huh....
Miss V: Soooo....
Stupid Mom: I don't know. I'm kinda unprepared for this. (No kidding...)
Miss V: Okay.... (I can hear her taking a breath- she may be counting to ten, possibly twenty.) Okay. So what do you want to talk about on this blog?
Stupid Mom: Well, I don't know. Just the kind of stuff we talk about you know? The things that happen to us that we just can't really believe are happening, and we sort of vent on Facebook, or texting, or whatever. You know, the things that make us go, "Did this REALLY just happen??"
Miss V: That's good. That's what you should call it.
Stupid Mom: What?
Miss V: Did this really just happen? That's a good name.
        That's when I realized two things. 1) Miss V was having that moment right then. And 2) My Blog was born, at its right moment, in its right time. Thank you Miss V For making it REALLY happen!

3 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have such a charismatic daughter with such wonderful friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. Hopefully we never have to go through a process like this again. ;)

    ReplyDelete