Friday, July 13, 2012

The Dradon Project

   The Dradon Project has finally been published! This book ('epic novel' according to Smashwords- of course they are referring to the length; still I like it- 'epic' makes me happy) has haunted me for some time; I originally started it about five years ago and then gave it up because 'life got in the way.' And then two years ago I got injured and was put on medical leave for several months. During that time I didn't know what to do with myself and so my husband began urging me to get back to writing.
   I remember saying, "Well there was this one project I was piddling around with….  But that was a long time ago and I don't even have very much more than an outline." I didn't even have a title. I knew it was a 'project,' but I didn't know it was the 'Dradon' project.
   "Unless you got something better to do…" was his response; and considering at the time I was in screaming pain twenty-four hours a day and couldn't even turn my head, the answer was, "Nope. No. Not really. Hmmm…"
   And so the project was reborn.
   With so many of my books, the story seems to tell itself and The Dradon Project was no exception. Often I found myself waking up in the middle of the night going, "Oh!!! So that's what happened- as if one of the characters suddenly stepped out of the story and whispered some bit of information in my ear while I slept.
   Sounds crazy I know (but those of you who know me, already know that I crossed the bridge into Crazy Town a LONG time ago…). But that's what was happening- the book was urging me almost as much as my husband was.
   And so I worked on it. And worked on it. And worked on it.
   Normally I carry some kind of notebook around with me everywhere I go because I never know when an idea will hit me and I have to jot it down because I am getting OLD and I forget…
   What was I talking about?
   See what I mean?
   Oh yeah.
   Anyway; normally when writing a book, I will use one or two notebooks- three tops- to record various bits of information, or notes on any research I might have done. In the case of The Dradon Project, I have used ten- count them TEN- notebooks for all the information I had to keep track of. And that's not even including all the mini-notebooks and post-it notes that were randomly stuck EVERYWHERE. I think I was even sticking them to myself at one point.
   In short (too late I know), what I am saying to you is that this has been by far the greatest undertaking I have ever attempted in regards to my writing. I juggled so much information and so many characters that I often found myself with a migraine trying to keep it all straight. But I believe I have succeeded (thanks very much to my editor in chief H.V.!!) and I hope you will all enjoy it. There will be a sequel (H. V. is already hounding me on that), but after such a massive project I am currently taking a break and working on something a little less heavy for a minute. Already though, the next book is plaguing my mind (unlike its predecessor, it already has a title) and I have about half a notebook's worth of notes- I can't get away from my brain.
   The Dradon Project is currently only available on Smashwords but will become available to other venues such as B&N, Apple Store and Amazon in about three weeks; naturally I will let everyone know when that happens. I also published another short story (more of a long essay I suppose, rather than a short story) about two weeks ago that I didn't announce and it has been surprisingly popular- it's flying off the cyber-shelf!
   Thanks again to everyone for all their support- I really DO appreciate it! The e-mails, FB messages, and encouraging words I have received not only from the blog, but also from my previous short stories have been heartwarming. The overwhelming responses from Losing Myself, But Not Entirely (the only piece of non-fiction I've ever written) actually brought me to tears! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can never say it enough! It is my greatest joy when someone tells me that my blog made them laugh, or that they really enjoyed one of my stories- I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment